What is CNC Machining?
Computer Numerical control machining or CNC Machining, is the controlled removal of materials from a block, in this case steel.
Known as subtractive manufacturing, the process is controlled by pre-programmed software that controls the movement of machinery resulting in a finished part. CNC Machining produces highly accurate parts with excellent physical properties, directly from a CAD file loaded into the machine.
CNC Machining can be broken down into three key steps:
- An engineer creates the first CAD model of the part.
- A machinist then loads the CAD file into a CNC program (known as a G-code).
- Finally, the CNC machine executes the operation loaded into the machine. The CNC machine then removes material from the block with little supervision to create the finished part.
There are many different types of CNC Machining process, here at Taylor Forgings in Sheffield we use the following to produce faultless parts and components:
Milling is a process used by CNC machinery to remove material from a block using rotary cutting tools that move along multiple axes.
Our CNC milling process utilises both traditional 3-axis and more advanced 5-axis milling to ensure we create more versatile and complex components and parts.
Turning is a process used by CNC machinery to create detailed functional prototypes, parts and components that have cylindrical features.
This process rotates a metal rod while a cutting tool is held against the stock to remove the material to the desired specification.
What are the benefits of CNC Machining?
- Precision and consistency: CNC Machining is extremely precise, eliminating human error. CNC Machines are highly accurate in the work they produce, providing clients with with uniform and faultless parts.
- Productivity: Because you can programme CNC machines, technicians can step away and let the CNC machines do all the work. This can include out of hours production, ensuring high levels of productivity and increased rate of output.
- Versatility: CNC Machines can create any component you can think of and can also be preprogrammed in a short period of time to manufacture a completely different product. Production can be stopped and reprogrammed without it being too time consuming or costly.
Get In-touch today!
Looking to utilise our world-class CNC Machining facilities? Fantastic, we're here to help. Just fill out the contact form below and we will get back to you as soon as possible!